Family (Unmarried Partner) Visa

Family (Unmarried Partner) Visa

If you want to join your partner in the UK and you are not a citizen of either the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, you will need a ‘Family of a Settled Person’ visa.

First, you will need to show that your partner is:

  • a British citizen
  • has settled in the UK
  • has asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK

You must then meet the eligibility requirements and prove that you and your partner are 18 or over and in a genuine partnership. You will also have to meet the financial requirements for yourself and for any child or children that you have. Out immigration experts will be able to tell you exactly how much that is.

To qualify for this visa, you must also prove:

  • you have been living together in a relationship for 2 years. You will need documentary evidence to show you both share the same address
  • you intend to continue living with your partner in the UK after you apply
  • you and your partner and any children will have an adequate place to live in the UK
  • you have a good knowledge of English

Your application might be refused if, for example, you have got a criminal record or provided false or incomplete information to the Home Office.

If you need guidance on immigration law, contact our experienced immigration solicitors today on: 020 7427 5970 or

You will usually get a decision on your visa within 12 weeks of applying. A fee is required and you may have to pay a healthcare surcharge.

You will be able to work or study with this visa but you will not have access to any public funds. Your initial stay will be 33 months but you may be able to extend your visa and settle in the UK permanently.

Many people applying for this type of visa are turned down so please contact our specialist immigration lawyers who will be able to advise and guide you through the complex evidence that is required. We will be with you every step of the way.

Contact Taylor Hampton

We are here to help, please fill in your details below and our solicitors will contact you shortly::

Taylor Hampton will only process your personal data in relation to this specific enquiry.