Retained Right of Residence

Retained Right of Residence

You can apply for a retained right of residence even if your situation changes and you no longer have a family member who was an EEA national and living in the UK. This can happen if, for example, your marriage or civil partnership with the EEA citizen has ended, you suffered from domestic violence or the EEA citizen has died.

To get a retained right of residence, you will need to prove that the EEA family member was a permanent resident or working, studying or had independent means while you were living with them or that they had a pre-settled or settled status in the UK. You will also need to show some evidence of how the relationship ended by providing, for example, a death or divorce certificate.

If you are a member of the EEA citizen’s extended family, you can only retain your right of residence when you currently have a valid residence card. You can’t retain your right of residence if you were an unmarried partner and that relationship has broken down.

If you are granted a retained right of residence, you can apply for settled status after a total of 5 years living in the UK.

Our specialist immigration lawyers will be able to advise and guide you through the practicalities and evidence that is required for a retained right of residence. We will be with you every step of the way.

If you need guidance on immigration law, contact our experienced immigration solicitors today on: 020 7427 5970 or

Contact Taylor Hampton

We are here to help, please fill in your details below and our solicitors will contact you shortly::

Taylor Hampton will only process your personal data in relation to this specific enquiry.