EEA Family Permit

EEA Family Permit

The UK has now formally left the EU on 31 January 2020, but there is a transitional period until 31 June 2021. This means that free movement still applies until the end of transitional period. This in turn means that nothing will change until then for the rights of non-EU family members from countries in the EU, including Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

There are currently 2 different family permits:

  1. the EU Settlement Scheme family permit
  2. the EEA family permit

The one you should apply for depends on your circumstances.

To get the family permit, you must be a family member of an EEA citizen who is resident in the UK. This permit applies to spouses, civil partners, children or grandchildren under 21 years old, or a dependent parent or grandparent. You can also qualify as an extended family member or unmarried partner. You need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme family permit if your close family member has a ‘settled’ or ‘pre-settled’ status under the EU Settlement Scheme.

Otherwise, you will need to apply for an EEA Family Permit.


However, the EEA family permit is coming to an end. After 30 June 2021 they will no longer be valid and you will not be able to make a new application.

When the permit expires, if your eligible family member was living in the UK before 31 December 2020 you have the rights to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK. However if your family member came to the UK on or after 1 January 2021 you will need to apply for a visa to live, work or study in the UK.

Our specialist immigration lawyers will be able to advise and guide you through the practicalities and evidence that is required for this permit. We will be with you every step of the way.

If you need guidance on immigration law, contact our experienced immigration solicitors today on: 020 7427 5970 or

Contact Taylor Hampton

We are here to help, please fill in your details below and our solicitors will contact you shortly::

Taylor Hampton will only process your personal data in relation to this specific enquiry.