Which Visa?

Which Visa?

If you want to stay in the UK and build a new life here, it is important to get the right visa, or switch to another when you get here. This site gives you options and explains the different sorts of visas and what the requirements are. It also explains how to get permanent residence or settlement (known as Indefinite Leave to Remain) and even how to become a British citizen.

If you want to stay in the UK and, for example you are studying here with a Tier 4 Student visa, there are a number of options:

Start Up and Innovator Visa

A great way to stay in the UK after your studies, for example, is by applying for a Start-up visa which doesn’t require you to have any funds for investment. Alternatively, if you are an established business person and have an access to at least £50,000 to invest, then an Innovator visa is suitable for you. The business idea for both Start-up and Innovator must be endorsed by one of the UK endorsing bodies or universities.

The Start-up and Innovator visa allows you to take over the running of one business or more; work for your business, including being self-employed, and bring family members with you.

You can stay in the UK with the Start-up visa for two years and you can apply to switch into Innovator visa for another three years. There is no limit how many times you can extend the Innovator visa. You may also be able to apply for settlement or permanent residence once you have lived in the UK for 3 years on an Innovator visa.

Investor visa

If you or your partner has at least £2 million investment funds and have opened a UK bank account you could apply for an Investor visa. You can come to the UK with this visa for a maximum of 3 years and 4 months and you can then apply to extend this visa for another 2 years.

Depending on the amount of money you invest, you will qualify for settlement or permanent residence after 2 years in some cases, so this is a good way to stay in the UK.

Global Talent visa

Another way to stay in the UK is with the Global Talent visa. If you’ve been endorsed in your field of science, humanities, engineering, medicine, digital technology or the arts the you can apply for this visa. You must either be a recognised leader (exceptional talent) or an emerging leader (exceptional promise.) The other route to this visa is via the UK Government’s new Tech Nation Visa Scheme. This scheme makes it possible for tech talent from around the world to come and work in the UK’s digital technology sector.

Once you receive this visa, you can stay in the UK for up to 5 years and 4 months, if you apply from outside the UK. But if you make your application from within the UK, the time you can stay is 5 years exactly. You can apply to extend this visa for another 5 years and you can apply for settlement or permanent residence after 3 years in exceptional talent endorsement or after 5 years in exceptional promise.

There are other routes to staying in the UK, including if you are in a relationship with a UK or EEA citizen. For more information on this, other visa options, permanent residence or settlement, please contact our solicitors who are immigration experts, on: 020 7427 5970 or enquiries@taylorhampton.co.uk

Contact Taylor Hampton

We are here to help, please fill in your details below and our solicitors will contact you shortly::

Taylor Hampton will only process your personal data in relation to this specific enquiry.