Employer Nomination Scheme – Changes to 186 Regulations

By 21st September 2023 No Comments

What is the 186 Visa for Health Workers?

The Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) is a VISA for health workers. This update explains how it assists the medical profession.  First, this visa lets employers Nominate Skilled Workers to live and work in Australia Permanently. Second, these Visas are not Points tested. Australian National and migration advisor, Greg Veal of Emigrate-to-Australia explains how the programme works:


Employer Nomination Scheme Visa for Australia E


In fact, Greg comments that there are several streams of this Visa as follows:

Direct Entry

This is where the employer Directly Nominates the Applicant and they will gain Permanent Residence straight away. Furthermore, a Skills Assessment is needed for these Visas You need to have an Occupation on the Skilled Occupations List and have Competent English

Temporary Residence Transition Stream

This visa lets skilled workers, who are nominated by their employer, live and work in Australia permanently.

  • ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​You must hold a 457, TSS or related bridging visa A, B or C
  • Usually, you must have worked for your employer full-time for at least three years
  • You must be nominated by your employer

Labour Agreement

  • You must currently work, or will work, for your employer under a labour agreement.
  • You must have suitable English language skills, experience, skills and other attributes for the position. The labour agreement will provide guidance on these.
  • These are Agreements that are set up in co-operation with employers, unions, regional authorities and other interested parties

What Can I do with this VISA?

When you hold this Visa you can

  • Stay in Australia Indefinitely
  • Work and Study in Australia
  • Travel to and from Australia in a 5 year Resident Return capacity
  • Sponsor eligible Relatives to come to Australia (Children, Parent and Spouses)
  • Apply for Citizenship once eligible
  • You can Apply for this visa from in or outside Australia. If you are in Australia, you must hold a substantive visa or a related bridging visa A, B or C.
  • If your substantive visa has a no further stay condition, you might still be able to lodge an application in Australia in certain circumstances.
  • You can be in or outside Australia when we decide on your application.

So what has changed, the applications for Health workers for 186 and 187 visa types for General Practitioners will no longer need to have a Health Workforce Certificate when applying.

As a result, this will speed up the applications for these health workers looking to emigrate to Australia under the Employer Nomination Scheme.

Where can I find more information?

Finally, if you are a GP or a skilled worker who has contacts in Australia and is looking to be sponsored under the 186 Visa, we can help. Therefore, please contact Emigrate to Australia on 020 7427 5290 or email Greg Veal and the Team on [email protected]